Sunday, February 20, 2011

Woman vs. Machine

In a discussion with my significant other the idea of the modern day and "wanting to be a machine" came up. For some reason this stuck in my mind, I guess because it has always been a pervasive theme in my work- the contrast between the mechanical and the natural, the chaos and the structure.

Not a particularly mathematically oriented person, I am forever fascinated by machines and our human abilities to make new ones.

This is a stylized version of a very large 8' by 4' drawing/painting many years ago but I still love it today. The theme is human vs the machine inside us, and how they have a mutual need for each others' existence. We need just the right amount of order to keep us stabilized and secure, and the right amount of sensitivity and compassion to be in harmony with others and our surroundings.







No comments:

Post a Comment